Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pete The Cat - Groovy Button Subtraction

Pete The Cat
Groovy Button Subtraction

I decided to use Pete The Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons to introduce my first graders to subtraction.



They Love... Love... LOVE, Pete the Cat, so this was a win-win!

Here is a fun freebie from another blogger that is a great resource:
http://petersons-pad.blogspot.com/2012/07/pete-cat-freebie.html

I used some of her freebies for practice sheets for my students to reinforce their learning.

My favorite, however was her shirt template. She used them as work mat for centers, which I am also going to do in the future, but to introduce it I put my own spin on it.

You can find the template here:
http://petersons-pad.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html

I had the students make their own Groovy Button shirt to show a subtraction number sentence.
 -The students got to choose their own groovy buttons and which button they wanted to POP! off.
I had all the student color their shirt yellow to match Pete's.

I was so impressed with how hard they were working and how fabulous each product turned out! Even my lowest students had a GREAT turn out with this assignment.







Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment