Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Teaching while Pregnant...

Hello again!

I know, I know... It's been awhile. However, I have some exciting news! My husband and I recently welcomed our first born into the world! I will take a step back.

Teaching while 8 months pregnant is DRAINING! I could barely keep myself afloat let alone blog about it. Although I wish I would have, looking back on it now. I had many new obstacles to face. I wasn't new to working with ELL students, but I was new to working with ones that had such an extensive traumatic history. However, my year progressively got better as my belly grew bigger. The responses and comments I got from my students were anywhere in range from hilarious to concerning. 

Here are a few examples:

"Do you know how they get the baby out?... They cut you from here to here, (student using one finger to draw a line from one side of his stomach to the other) then take the baby out and give it to you."

"Do you know how bad it hurts when they take the baby out? My mom said it is THE WORST!" (THE WORST was said with flattened serious eyebrows and a stern voice.)

One student to another teacher, "Did you know Mrs. B has two hearts? (6 year old student places his hand on the teachers chest) One here, (then moves had to her belly) and one here."

After first telling my students I was pregnant, which was on a Friday. I come back to school on Monday and one of my students got very serious and mad, then said, "I thought you said you were having a baby? Where is he?!"

Needless to say, there was never a dull moment! They also enjoyed meeting him when I brought him in at the end of the year. Now, this year they are in second grade and they are all asking me how he is doing. They even remembered his name.

So, even during the stress I built relationships and learning took place.

Now, our baby boy is 5 months old and I am into my another year of teaching! Although it is so hard to leave my little one to go back to work, I love what I do and I am excited to see what another year has in store.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment