Monday, November 11, 2013

Owls Shapes and The Shape of Things :)

The math unit we are working on is on SHAPES!

To kick it off we did this awesome Freebie Silly Shaped Owls from Classroom Freebies.

We started off last week by making the owls and later this week we will be filling out the owl shape packet.

Since my room is owl themed, I couldn't resist this awesome intro to shapes! 








They turned out great!

To kick off this week we read:

It is a cute book the takes shapes and makes them into everyday objects. 
An example is:
A square is just a square until you add some windows and a door. Then, it is a house. 

So, I had my students replicate this themselves. 
I made a template of each shape on Word and typed up a sentence starter that the students just needed to fill in. 

It let students use their imagination and also identify shapes in everyday objects. 

Here is their completed work:



I really enjoyed combining these two ideas to introduce shapes to my class! 
 
Enjoy! 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment