After long debate on how to help my students feel like they have an understanding of what their job is in the classroom, I decided to set up a table with visuals and a first this => this diagram of sorts.
Here is the end product:
Since I implemented this, I have noticed a huge improvement in behavior and work produced. The students feel confident in their work and have a more solid idea on what their task is.
I like that all I need to do is point at a desired table behavior and the language isn't a barrier. I also have a pre-filled out template of what a finished product of their work should look like in the visual pocket chart so my students KNOW that they are completing the task or assignment correctly. This has been a lifesaver!!
I also have a new comer who benefited from a personal visual schedule.
Here is the visual schedule we made this student:
Now, the student has their own picture of them completing each of the days tasks. All I have to do now is point at the next step.
I would LOVE to hear from some of you on how you are reaching your ELL students!!