Thursday, October 24, 2013

ELL Support

As you know from my earlier post, I have a high need for ELL support in my classroom.
After long debate on how to help my students feel like they have an understanding of what their job is in the classroom, I decided to set up a table with visuals and a first this => this diagram of sorts.
                                                         
Here is the end product:




Since I implemented this, I have noticed a huge improvement in behavior and work produced. The students feel confident in their work and have a more solid idea on what their task is.
I like that all I need to do is point at a desired table behavior and the language isn't a barrier. I also have a pre-filled out template of what a finished product of their work should look like in the visual pocket chart so my students KNOW that they are completing the task or assignment correctly. This has been a lifesaver!!

I also have a new comer who benefited from a personal visual schedule.

Here is the visual schedule we made this student:

 
Now, the student has their own picture of them completing each of the days tasks. All I have to do now is point at the next step.

I would LOVE to hear from some of you on how you are reaching your ELL students!!

                                                                               Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment